How To Keep Your Utah Home Safe From Fires

Fire Safety Tips For Utah Homeowners

Utah is experiencing an extremely hot summer. In fact, according to the National Weather Service, Utah has recorded record-breaking temperatures—some of the highest seen since 2002 and 1960.

In addition to high temperatures, Utah celebrates the 4th of July and Pioneer Day each summer with firecrackers and barbeques. Hot temperatures, dry vegetation, and fireworks all put your house at risk for fire.

This last month has seen catastrophic apartment fires, some caused by arson and others by human error.

At Your Utah Realty, we wanted to help out by giving everyone a few tips on fire safety and how to keep your Utah home safe from fires.

Have any real estate questions?

Practice Firework Safety

Fireworks Safety

The flash, lights, and bangs of fireworks are a blast to watch, literally! However, when a firework goes astray, the consequences can be devastating.

Because Utah is experiencing a huge drought this year, city officials have restricted fireworks in most cities.

Here is a comprehensive list of firework restrictions from Utah’s fire marshal:

If you’d like to watch a firework display, there are multiple public events that will be held this year.

Check Your Smoke Detectors

Check Smoke Detectors

Utah homeowners should check their smoke detectors monthly, replace the batteries once or twice a year, and replace the entire detector once every ten years.

To check your smoke detector, press and hold the test button. In a few seconds, you should hear an ear-splitting siren. If you don’t, your batteries may be dead and should be changed.

Did You Know

Did you know? According to the Unified Fire Authority, working smoke alarms reduce the chances of dying in a fire by nearly 50%. They are your first line of defense for any house fire.

Here’s a great tip – make it a habit to change out those batteries on Daylight Savings Days, when you spring forward or fall back.

Maintain Your HVAC and Electrical Systems

and Your Chimney

HVAC & Electrical & Chimney

Many home fires begin with poorly maintained furnaces or objects that have been placed too close to these heat sources. Make sure your furnace is inspected and your ducts cleaned once a year. Having your HVAC system on a regular maintenance schedule will not only help to prevent fires, but will make your systems run more efficiently and last longer.

Check electrical outlets and cords for fraying or exposed wires. Don’t overload outlets or extension cords.

Finally, make sure that any fuel-burning equipment or fireplaces are properly vented and cleaned out. Creosote buildup in fireplaces and chimneys are sometimes the culprit of home fires.

All flammable materials should be at least three feet from any heat source.

Cooking Supervision

Cooking Supervision

Never leave cooking foods unattended. If you are leaving the room, turn off any heat sources. Don’t leave the home while roasting or baking anything, and this includes crockpots.

Did You Know?

The Unified Fire Authority says that in Utah, most fires occur while cooking and these fires cause the most fire-related injuries.

When cooking, make sure you’re not wearing loose clothing, and have a fire extinguisher on hand to control any sudden fires that may erupt. A fire can double in size in just seconds.

Teach Kids About Fire Safety

Fire Safety

Keep matches and lighters away from children and teach them to immediately hand any found materials to an adult.

Each family should have a fire safety plan and practice it before a fire starts. If a fire does erupt, make sure your kids know how to evacuate your home and make sure each room has at least two exits (a door and a window).

Establish a meeting spot outside of the home if disaster strikes, and designate a “safe” person in your neighborhood where your children can go to if you are incapacitated.

Finally, teach children how to properly use and call 911 when appropriate.

Have Your Utah Home Inspected

When Buying A Home

Have Your Home Inspected

Before you purchase a home in Utah, have your home inspected for any issues that may increase your risk of a house fire. Your home inspector should check your furnace, electrical wiring, and ducts for problems.

Need a referral to a HVAC technician or home inspector? Our SLC real estate agents are your resource to all things related to real estate. Give us a call today at (801) 893-8880.

Schedule a Consultation With Your Utah Realty
To Find Out How Much Your Utah Home Is Worth
National Association of Realtors
Salt Lake Board of Realtors
Utah Real Estate MLS